Subscribe on Youtube!!

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Remember March 11th




Respects in remembrance to those who lost their lives in the Tohoku earthquake one year ago.

I had a vlog in mind to decribe my experience with the earthquake but I felt as an artist I should create a piece to show my respects. So I drew this. And added appropriate music over it.

I will tell you my experience of the earthquake anyways.
Yes, on March 11, 2011 I was in Japan. Specifically Komae, Tokyo. At the time I was teaching English as an ALT at several schools in the area. It was the final hour of school and strangely I did not have a class to teach at that period. I was alone in a room doing school prep and waiting for the school day to end when the quake hit.

It was the longest most freightening quake I've been through. Prior to this my only experience with a quake was a small one in America during middle school. I can't remember how long it lasted, a few minutes? I felt like it was shaking for forever. I even thought I was gonna die.

After the quake ended the announcement over the intercom was made and we call evacuted out of the building. I was still in shock and terrified but at the same time I was all too impressed by how the kids of the Elementary school handled it. There was literally only one or two first or second grade kids who were crying but most everyone remained relatively calm.

It was an eerie feeling. But we were alive.

Getting home after that was another story. I worked at least an hour away from home and all the buses and trains were down leading me to wait a few hours and decide to go on a several hour journey home by foot when it started getting dark.

Maybe I wil vlog this after all lol

But I just wanted to express my respect to all those in the Tohoku area and give a moment of thought to them. Let us all keep them in our hearts and minds.

Alex K
Subtokyo

Music by Incompetech.com Kevin Macleod "Stages of Grief

No comments:

Post a Comment